Recipe for kale and brown rice (without the pig fat).
1) Separate kale from stems. Chop leaves coarsely. (Save stems to make vegetable stock.) Rinse, drain, and set aside.
2) Rinse 1cup brown rice. Drain.
3) Heat 1 tsp oil in soup pot. Add rice when hot. Stir constantly until fragrant.
4) Add 1 cup vegetable stock, 1 1/2 cups water. Add 1 strip kombu. Bring to a boil.Cover, remove from heat. Let rest for 5 minutes.
5) Return to low heat, covered. Cook for 45 minutes or until all water/stock is absorbed. Remove and discard kombu (or save for vegetable stock). Fluff. Set aside.
1)Place chopped kale and 1 cup vegetable stock in soup pot. Bring to boi, reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 5-10 minutes, depending upon desired tenderness and color. (Can be done while rice is cooking to save time.)
2) Strain stock from kale. (Save the stock!)
3) Toss with 1/4 cup red beans, 1- 2 TBSP Balsalmic vinegar, and, to taste: hot sauce, sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper. Serve over the rice.
See full set of photos: here.